Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Why is it so expensive to be a vegetarian?

My co-workers are probably sick of this rant, but seriously, why does it cost the same, or more, to be a vegetarian than to eat meat? I went to McDonalds the other day to get an egg mcmuffin, without meat, and the dang thing was still $2.79, even though I wasn't getting the ham thingy on it.  A sausage mcmuffin is $1.  If I go to the grocery store, a roll of sausage is like $3.19 and a dozen eggs is about $1.29.  Why then do eggs cost more at Micky D's?  And why does my apple pecan chicken salad without the chicken at Wendy's cost the same as if I get the salad with chicken?  It's not like these fast food joints have many vegetarian options.  Fries and a frosty do not a substantial lunch make when one has to work all day.  I need healthy brain food!  I'm not a vegetarian, I just don't always feel like eating meat.  And I hate breakfast sausage.  And the ham thingy on a mcmuffin.  I actually like black bean burgers but they cost more than hamburgers!  I can't afford to be healthy!  Ugh.  Don't get me started on the cost of produce and how quickly I have to throw it away and how time consuming it is to go to the store every 3 days to buy fresh.  It's exhausting!

So die-hard vegetarians, hats off to you.  It's difficult to find affordable, healthy options around here (clearly I do not live in California or anywhere that accomodates differing diets).  Actually, to quote someone I know who lives around here "if it ain't deep fried in animal fat, I ain't eatin' it."  Yep.  That was probably my facial expression, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment