Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year, New...blog?

The start of a new year is a time for starting over.  A time for people to "re-invent" themselves or change the things they do not like about themselves.  I figured this was a good time to start blogging.  After all, I see and hear so many things being a sort of wallflower and all, it seems almost selfish not to share.  So I want to blog about things I encounter that I like, things I hate, things I find amusing, and things about life in general.

First, as the blog title suggests, leggings should never be a substitute for pants.  Now, I shouldn't say never.  It's okay on children.  But once you are over the age of like 16 (or 19 if you are fortunate enough to be ridiculously skinny), wear some real pants.  If leggings were intended to substitute for pants, they would cost as much as a regular pair of jeans or black pants or something.  There would be racks and racks of them at the stores in every brand imaginable.  Wear them under a skirt or a dress or a tunic (whatever that is...I'm not a fashion guru, just an everyday observer).  Now that I got that rant out of the way, I can get on with this post.

The start of a new year is a time when many make their new year resolutions.  Some years I do this, some years I don't.  I rarely ever keep the ones that I do make.  My resolutions are always made up of generic, predictable words, such as:  I want to lose weight, I want to find true love, I want to make lots of money, etc.  If I do lose weight, it's like 2 pounds.  If I exercise, that lasts about a week or two.  I never keep a boyfriend.  I spend money as fast as a I make it.  My typical resolutions just don't cut it.  So, I don't really see the point in resolving to do something that I know I won't do.

The question is:  why won't I do these things?  My mother told me the other day that I lack willpower.  At first I thought she was just being mean to me, but then I realized that she is right.  Why don't I lose weight?  Well, I will never say no to an office lunch outing.  I will always choose the cheeseburger over the salad.  If cookies are sitting around, I won't eat just one.  I won't say no to a boyfriend, even if it makes me unhappy.  I always accomodate everyone, even if it makes me unhappy.  I do not have the willpower to do what is best for me.  I just choose the easiest option.  To gain instant gratification, to avoid conflict, to make everyone else happy.

I also think I just tend to jump feet first into things.  I don't like to take small steps toward my goals.  I want to lose 20 pounds?  I will throw out all of my food and practically starve myself while trying to exercise a zillion hours a day, thus making myself hate trying to better myself.  I want love?  I will throw myself 100% into a relationship without first figuring out if I really want to be in it, just because I am so desperate for someone to love me.

So how about this for some resolutions:  gain some willpower and slow down.  Do things one step at a time.  Learn to enjoy life.  Slowly work toward a healthy lifestyle.  Build friendships and healthy relationships.  Focus on what I want out of my life.  Be nicer to myself.  Make MYSELF happy.  Those seem like good resolutions to me.  I don't think I am the only person in the world who made those this year.  I'm sure I can keep at least one of them.  Oh, and I would also like to finish one of the novels I am working on.  And by working on, I mean I started working on for a couple days and then never looked at again.  I wrote 19 pages of one and 8 pages of another, convinced myself they sucked, then stopped.   There's where that "be nicer to myself" thing comes in.  How can they suck if I only just started?  Give myself a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment