Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Book of the Week -- The Passage by Justin Cronin

I thought it would be fun to discuss my thoughts on a different book each Wednesday, as long as I'm not out of town for work and have access to the blog that day.  So for my first book, I wanted to give a shout out to "The Passage" by Justin Cronin, mainly because I just finished it on NYE.



All I can say is, "Wow!"  I was sucked in from the beginning.  The book tells a story from several different viewpoints.  There is Amy Harper Bellefonte, a six-year-old little girl who ends up in the care of some nuns and is the key to saving the world;  Brad Wolgast, an FBI agent who starts off all bad-guy, but ends up being a favorite character; Anthony Carter, a death row inmate who can't seem to understand what happened to land him on the path to losing his life; Peter Jaxon, a member of the First Colony who seems to feel a lack of confidence and like he has something to prove; and a whole slew of other characters who somehow cross paths when the world "ends" because of a sort of "vampire" outbreak.

My first thought was "Oh no, not another vampire book."  But rest assured, this is no love story.  This is a vampire story like never before.  Nobody is safe.  Anyone could die when the end of the world is here.  And what happens when society as we know it ceases to exist?  Does anyone survive?  If so, how to the survivors make it?

This book is action-packed.  I will admit, I thought it was a little strange about a quarter of the way through the book.  I got confused and a little lost, but soon everything made sense, so if you feel that way partway through, do not give up reading.  It is well worth the time investment.  By the time I had finished the book, I became so emotionally invested in the characters, I was literally sad the book was over.  Beware:  it is an 800 page, 3+ pound book, so for the sake of your wrists and arms, I recommend the kindle or nook versions if you like to read in bed, as I do.  This is the first in a trilogy and I just purchased the next book in the trilogy, The Twelve, so likely that will be next Wednesday's book if I can find the time to finish it before then.

You can find the book on Amazon here.

No comments:

Post a Comment